The RunDown

The RunDown

River Dell Hosts Bergen County Relays

Morgan Levine
Alijah Abraham, sophomore sprinter, at the meet.

This annual Bergen County Relays have come and gone. After four straight days of events between 57 teams, public and private schools, the meet has finally concluded.

Both the boys and girls competed in every single event as well as placing in every single one aside from the boys 4×100 where the team was 0.07 seconds away from placing.

The boys went into the relays knowing winning the division was out of the picture yet still put in a great performance. The boys placed third in their division with 77 points from 30 different athletes. Although the boys did not place first in a single event, the team still found a way to score some solid points in a division dominated by Demarest.

The Boy’s Sprint Medley came 2nd overall in the county to only Demarest, with a time of 3 minutes and 36 seconds and ranked 9th overall in the entire state. The Boy’s Shuttle Hurdle team also came 2nd the division and 3rd in the county with an impressive team of all underclassmen.

The boys 4×1600 also placed well with a sub-19 minute 4th in Bergen County finish and also 9th in New Jersey. Even the Boys Freshman 4×400 finished 2nd in Bergen county, running their fastest time as a team at 3:50 which is pretty close to last years freshman.

The girl’s team went into the meet with a rare loss just over a week beforehand at Ramsey. They finished in a close second place with 93 points as a team coming from 27 different athletes that includes 6 different freshman. The girls also had multiple top 5 county teams.

The teams sprint Medley comprising of Samiya Bovell, Morgan Levine , Grace McQueeney and Christina Allen came in the top six in New Jersey and 2nd in the county with a solid time of 4:14. The girls came in first for their division in the 4×1600 and the distance medley, as well. The girls’ freshman team proved their strength and dominated running a 4:30 which was the best time in the county.

Both teams are still fighting for a league title this season with the boys going for their 11th in a row.

Both teams followed up their relay success by easily defeating a strong Pascack Hills team this past Tuesday.