The RunDown

The RunDown

Girls Track and Field Three-peat!

• Coach Urso and the seniors smile ear to ear as they show off their new trophy.

• The female competitors along with an official from the NJSIAA.

Waking up early is a chore for most, but the River Dell Hawks arose with eagerness and, but that didn’t stop them from getting work done. Opening the State Sectional meet, Freshman Samiya Bovell finished third overall in the 400 meter sprint racking up six points for the team.

“I’m super proud of myself for getting a new faster time… It was a tiring race but I’m proud of where I finished,” the freshman explained while still winded from her race.

Seniors Isabella Gabay and Christina Allen dominated in the 1600 run. With Allen finishing first in the 1600 and Gabay finishing third, that racked up 16 points for the Hawks. When the last lap came, both girls ran their hearts out and made head track and field coach Mike Urso happy with their performance.

Chrsitina Allen, yet again, dominated in the 800 meter run and had another ten points to the team by finishing first in the group. This lead Allen to get the team 20 points on her performances alone!

Senior Grace McQueeney finished second overall in the High Jump, clearing 5’0. North 1 Group 2 had some of the biggest jumpers out of the groups at the meet, so with McQueeney finishing second, it helped the team grasp another eight points.

“I’m happy with my performance to be honest, but I was right there!” She laughed it off, “I know I’ll jump 5’2 soon though.” McQueeney said.

Senior Morgan Levine clutched second place in the open 55 meter dash finals. Levine ended up running just shy of her personal best time. This race gave the team yet another eight points. “I’m honestly super shocked with my placement, but I’m beyond happy about it. I’m looking forward to running faster next weekend at groups.”

The distance duo of Allen and Gabay went and dominated the track yet again. Christina Allen and Isabella Gabay left it all on the track during their 3200 meter run. With Allen finishing first for her third time in a row, she leads the team in points racking up 30 points alone. Gabay finished third, grasping six points for the team. This 3200m race fetched the team 16 points alone!

With Northern Valley: Old Tappan trailing right behind the hawks, it was all left to the girls 4×400 meter relay to leave it all on the track. Freshman Samiya Bovell, Seniors Morgan Levine and Grace McQueeney and Freshman Samantha Allen ended up finishing fourth overall and got the Hawks four points.

Waking up at 5am didn’t stop these hawks from swooping in and taking the win over all 15 teams in North 1 Group 2. With a total of 68 points, the Hawks went and celebrated at a local pizza shop with their new trophy.