The RunDown

The RunDown

11th Grade Travels to 11th Century

11th Grade Travels to 11th Century

River Dell’s 11th-grade English teachers planned the fun experience of returning to Medieval Times for another field trip for the juniors. Medieval Times is a dinner and tournament theater featuring staged medieval-style games, sword-fighting, and jousting. The interactive experience is based upon authentic Medieval history and is the true story of a noble family with documentation dating back to the 11th Century. The top knights of the kingdom battle with brawn and steel to determine one victor to protect the throne. After the tournament concludes they feast and raise a goblet to their Queen.

Most of the students were excited to attend medieval times. Junior Preena Sunder Raj expressed before the trip that she, “Was excited to go to Medieval Times. I heard about the show with the knights and the food was going to be good. Also, this was my first time going so I was excited about the experience.”
Upon their return Preena explained that, “I think this trip exceeded its expectations. The show itself was so good. There was a lot of action. From the knights to everyone cheering on our knight, the blue knight. It was a great atmosphere, and the food was good. The food included chicken, potato, corn, Texas toast, and cookies for dessert”.

Understanding that the students had a good time, let’s hear about what one of the 11th-grade English teachers had to say about the trip.
Mrs. Cuccio-Morris emphasizes that the purpose of the trip was based on the juniors reading one of Shakespeare’s famous plays. “The juniors read Shakespeare’s Macbeth in the English classes, which takes place during approximately 1060 CE, which occurs during the medieval era in history. So, taking the students to Medieval Times typically overlaps with the student’s reading of the Scottish Play (what Macbeth is referred to by the superstitious!)”.
Cuccio-Morris explained that the students had a great time enjoying food without utensils staying true to Medieval standards. “It’s an entertaining show with some educational aspects during matinees. Also, the food and how it is eaten (without utensils) stays true to Medieval standards and is depicted in a film production we watch together. The students love the connections they make between what they have done and what they perceive in Macbeth”.
Most of the English teachers plan to continue bringing the upcoming juniors to Medieval times for more successful future trips. “I would certainly consider it or help in any way that I can to have the students do this again. Field trips are an important part of the educational experience that allows students to learn engagingly while bonding with peers over a shared experience. I fully support that,” explained Cuccio-Morris.