The RunDown

The RunDown

Diversity Club Attends Equity Think Tank

Ramapo High School
Courtesy of Wikipedia
Ramapo High School

On April 15th, River-Dell’s Diversity Club attended the Diversity and Equity Think Tank at Ramapo college. While at Ramapo, high school students were able to discuss ongoing issues involving their social climates with fellow students. “Learning from other kids on how their Diversity program succeeds or fails helps us to improve our program,” said junior Ayla Gewirtz, a member of RD’s Diversity Club.
With the help of club advisor Mrs. Luberto and administration, Gewirtz plans to implement a Diversity Day. “Experiencing other cultures and understanding one another can bring River-Dell closer,” explained Gewirtz. She understands the process for such a day would be difficult, however, Gewirtz is very determined to make a change. Her plan is to get students and/or faculty from different cultures to experience the traditional values and cuisine of others. This is to help build a closer relationship and connection between students and faculty.
However, this was just one of many ideas and takeaways from Think Tank. Collaborations with other clubs that can help create a safe space and environment for those with mental health struggles. Other students from schools in attendance mentioned their schools do very little to account for their student’s mental wellbeing. Ayla’s final contribution to River-Dell isn’t asking for more from her school. It’s contributing more to help others alike. Ayla Gewirtz wants to see change in her school, and she’s becoming that change.